- ¼ of an onion, diced fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced fine
- 2 heaping TB tomato paste
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. dried basil (I also add 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil during spring and summer months)
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- olive oil (about 1 TB)
- 1 lb. ground beef (if making a meat sauce)
**If making a meat sauce, brown the ground beef in a large skillet then drain. While beef is draining, do the following:
Drizzle olive oil in a large skillet. Saute onion and garlic on medium heat until tender. Add tomato paste and cook for a couple minutes to remove “raw” flavor. Add all seasonings (except for salt and pepper) and stir. Add crushed tomatoes and stir well to combine. Add salt and pepper and drizzle more olive oil into the sauce. If using fresh basil as well, stir this in now. (If making a meat sauce, add the beef back in at this point).
Stir occasionally and cook for about 30-45 minutes, until thickened.
We serve it over spaghetti squash or zucchini or squash noodles (and/or with meatballs sometimes).
Meatball Recipe: http://themealplanner.org/meatballs-whole-30-compliant/