It appears that I’m in a blueberry kind of mood today! I also posted some blueberry jam earlier, so be sure to take a look at that recipe. These muffins have been tweaked a couple of times but I think what I’ve posted is a good muffin. Don’t leave out the lemon zest! It really makes a huge difference when used. Hope you give these a try.
Classic Blueberry Muffins
(Makes 24 regular muffins)
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
2 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen ones that have been thawed)
Zest of 1 lemon, grated finely
Streusel Topping Ingredients:
3 1/2 T white sugar
3 1/2 T brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
5 T melted butter
Pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Spray non-stick cooking spray in muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, mix streusel topping ingredients until it is the size of peas and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix butter until creamy. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating consistently.
- Beat in vanilla, baking powder and salt.
- Fold in half of the flour into the batter then half of the milk; repeat with the other half of flour and milk.
- Fold in blueberries and lemon zest.
- Spoon into muffin liners and sprinkle streusel topping on muffins.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and when toothpick comes out clean.